tinyCopter Updates

I finally got the revision C control boards in the mail, along with a Ponoko order for some lasercut acrylic. I won’t go into detail over the new boards, because I did that in a previous post, but the new ones have USB for debugging and uploading new programs from Xmegaduino.That was the goal, at least. I figured that the RTS line on the FT232 would be used as reset, like normal. This is not the case, however. The DTR line is. Oh well. Luckily, I can use my AVRISPmkII clone to upload programs just as easily. There is also one other issue, and that is that I used some 0402 resistors accidentally. You can see in the first picture by the headers that I had to improvise with some 0603’s.

The acrylic plates that I got from Ponoko are great. They don’t serve any real purpose, but I figured that it would look cool and protect the control board from flying debris in the event of a crash. To get the shape exactly the same as the PCB, I exported only the dimension layer in EAGLE, brought it into SolidWorks to clean it up and create a .dxf file that Inkscape would like, and imported into it the template from Ponoko.

I’m also (finally) starting to work on modifying the AeroQuad code for use on my Xmega. For someone new to actual AVR programming (setting up registers and bit-level operations), work is going slowly, but I’m getting there. I hope to be flying in a week or two.

tinyCopter Revision C Main Board

tinyCopter Revision C Main Board

tinyCopter Revision C Main Board

I was also on Adafruit’s weekly show-and-tell. You can watch the video here.

Advertisements